The RA Poll list of the best DJs and live acts in 2016 is out. Our list, however, focuses on techno, techno and some more techno. Here’s who we think did great in 2016:
- ADAM BEYER – 2016 was the most exciting year for the super active and devoted Swede that managed to skyrocket his career whether it’s headlining at all the major techno festivals or bringing his modern techno sound to perfection. not to mention curating his own superb Drumcode label which is responsible for some of the biggest tracks of the year.
- CARL COX – one of the most important techno pioneers on the planet, the King of Ibiza and the most charming techno smile has marked 2016 with the exquisite closing of his residency at Space Ibiza and the closing of the club a few weeks later.
- BEN KLOCK – This year the current techno king showed us why he’s on the throne by playing the most intense and powerful techno sets in massive clubs, headlining more techno festivals than ever, alone or with Marcel Dettmann, perfecting his recognizable sound and creating an unexplainable connection with his crowd each time he spins. and always find the time to play marathon sets in Berghain.
- RØDHÅD – even though 2015 was a milestone year in his career, in 2016 “Red Head” truly polished his deep, hypnotic and heavy yet melancholic sound, Running up to four decks at a time he became the dark vibe master creating hypnotic states of minds in clubs and festivals worldwide.
- NINA KRAVIZ – the first lady of techno was in very high demand this year – playing everywhere: from BPM, DGTL, Time Warp, Exit and Awakenings and touring North America, Australia and Japan, infatuating techno lovers from all over the world with her raw techno sound with an acid twist. The fresh sounds coming out from her label “Trip” & the latest Fabric mix has shown that Nina is a forward thinking DJ & artist.
- JOSEPH CAPRIATI – Italy’s favorite son, the natural performer had a very productive 2016 playing more gigs than ever and perfecting his sound which got him higher than he’s ever been on the top DJ charts. Capriati took it to the next level this year mainly with memorable sets around the world. weather he was headlining a festival, banging powerful back-2-back sessions or hosting one his marathon parties, playing for 12 hours you knew you will get 100 & JC.
- RICHIE HAWTIN – it’s almost impossible not to find this techno innovator and an absolute legend on the top DJ charts year after year. Even though ENTER. was his great Ibiza thing, in 2016 Richie took a totally different approach and decided to play at each of the main clubs only once, bringing back the feeling of excitement and anticipation. This year he also teamed up with a product developer Andy Rigby-Jones to launch PLAYdifferently. Once again Hawtin swept both the fans & the industry with The announcement about the MODEL 1 Mixer, a six channel, purely analogue professional mixer followed by world wide tour & hand picked Live shows that reminded everyone that he lives in another dimension
- JEFF MILLS – one of the fathers of techno took it to the next level playing all kinds of different gigs this year. He played 101 times across the globe. Including 74 Dj set in 22 countries, 13 classical performances in 9 countries, 5 cinemix in 4 cities, 4 gigs with his new electro jazz-fusion live and others unique performances. A tribute to John Coltrane alongside the french jazz saxophonist Emile Parisien and a live performance with the Afrobeat king drummer Tony Allen. He also released his The 9th chapter of The Sleeper Wakes series “Free Fall Galaxy” on his Axis Recordings label.
- DAX J – With big releases in Electric Deluxe & Clergy , 2016 was a breakthrough year for this Berlin based gent as he won over techno lovers with a kick ass closing set at the Awakenings ADE Closing party as well as a 10-hour marathon set in Berghain. In addition to that he was nominated for Mixmag, Groove Magazine and DJ Mag as Best Breakthrough DJ and got on the RA Poll 100 best DJs list.
- DVS1 – “2016 marks 20 years since I organized my first events and now it’s time to celebrate. I’ve put together some shows across the next few months and I’m finally able to share it with all of you.” HUSH 20 is DVS1’s tour celebrating the 20th anniversary of his sound company, party series and record label. Touring Europe for 10 gigs with his was Wall Of Sound rotating guest DJs as Blawan, Ben Sims & Jeff Mills.
- OSCAR MULERO – this year Mulero released a new live project called Monochrome. The Revillagigedo Palace Chapel in Gijón hosted a dark, deep and dense yet quite experimental party with a combination of hardware and software, including synthesizers, drum machines and sound effects. This is the side of Mulero we haven’t seen before.